Return to Index
|Section of Skin with Lichen Planus|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Hepatitis C
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Certain prescription medications
- Graft vs. host disease
- Dental materials
Itching, flat-topped purplish bumps or scaly patches
- Especially on the palm side of the wrists, the top of the foot and shins, the trunk, or the genitals
- May cause hair loss
- May be associated with abnormal nails
- Milky-white, spider web-like patches in your mouth or vagina
- May cause burning or discomfort
- Topical or oral antihistamines to relieve itching
- Other topical anti-itching products (pramoxine, menthol, eucalyptus oil)
- Soothing soaks (oatmeal, Burows solution 1:40)
- Retinoids or immunomodulating medications may be useful, particularly for lesions in the mouth or vagina
- Ultraviolet light combined with oral medication has also been effective in widespread or resistant cases
American Academy of Dermatology http://www.aad.org/
Canadian Dermatology Association http://www.dermatology.ca/
Beers MH, Berkow R. The Merck Manual. 17th ed. West Point, PA: Merck & Co; 1999.
Gorouhi F, Solhpour A, Beitollahi JM, Afshar S, Davari P, Hashemi P, Nassiri Kashani M, Firooz A. Randomized trial of pimecrolimus cream versus triamcinolone acetonide paste in the treatment of oral lichen planus. J Am Acad Dermatol . 2007 Nov;57(5):806-13. Epub 2007 Jul 20.
Lichen planus. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common%5Flichen.html . Accessed January 24, 2008.
Lichen planus. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic%5Fdiseases/lichen%5Fplanus.html . Accessed September 15, 2005.
Turan H, Baskan EB, Tunali S, Yazici S, Saricaoglu H. Methotrexate for the treatment of generalized lichen planus. J Am Acad Dermatol . 2009;60(1):164-6.
Wackernagel A, Legat FJ, Hofer A, Quehenberger F, Kerl H, Wolf P. Psoralen plus UVA vs. UVB-311 nm for the treatment of lichen planus. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed . 2007 Feb;23(1):15-9.
- Reviewer: Purvee S. Shah, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012
- Update Date: 09/10/2012