Return to Index
|Anatomy of the Ear|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Blockage by ear wax
- Fluid in the middle ear
- Ear infection, also known as otitis media
- Otosclerosis —a disorder of the bones in the middle ear
- Hole in the eardrum
- Abnormalities in the outer ear, middle ear, or ear canal
- Defect at birth that causes complete closure of the ear canal
- Trauma leading to disruption of the bones in the middle ear
- Excess noise
- Birth injury
- Hereditary factors
Exposure to toxic substances, including drugs like:
- Chemotherapy drugs
- Heart medications
- Aspirin-containing drugs
- Tumors like acoustic neuroma
- Cardiovascular disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Viruses such as measles , mumps , adenovirus, and rubella
- History of meningitis or syphilis
- Neurologic diseases such as multiple sclerosis and stroke
- Inner ear disorders such as Meniere’s disease
- Otosclerosis affecting the inner ear
- Previous brain or ear surgery causing damage to the inner ear
- External trauma to the ear
Basic facts about hearing loss. Hearing Loss Association of America website. Available at: http://www.hearingloss.org/content/basic-facts-about-hearing-loss . Accessed September 18, 2013.
Hearing impairment in elderly. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed . Updated September 13, 2013. Accessed September 18, 2013.
Hearing loss. NIH SeniorHealth website. Available at: http://nihseniorhealth.gov/hearingloss/hearinglossdefined/01.html . Accessed September 18, 2013.
Hearing loss in children. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dd/ddhi.htm . Updated March 22, 2013. Accessed September 18, 2013.
Isaacson JE, Vora NM. Differential diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68:1125-1132.
Type, degree, and configuration of hearing loss. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association website. Available at: http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/disorders/types.htm?print=1 . Accessed September 18, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014