Return to Index
Risk Factors for AIDS
Having Unprotected Sex
- Sexual relationship with a high-risk individual or a partner already infected with HIV
- Multiple sexual partners
- Sex with someone who has more than one sexual partner
- Sex without using a condom including vaginal and anal sex
- Having other sexually transmitted diseases
- Injecting illegal drugs, especially with used or dirty needles
- Regular exposure to HIV-contaminated blood or other body fluids
- Being born to an HIV-infected mother
- Living in or being from a geographic locations with high numbers of AIDS patients
- Receiving donor blood products, tissue, organs, or artificial insemination before 1985 (infections from donated tissue after 1985 is unlikely due to strict screening processes)
- Uncircumcised penis—circumcised men are less likely to develop HIV infection than uncircumcised men.
Having Certain Medical Conditions
Having Certain Medical Procedures
Being a Healthcare Worker
Know Your Status
Araneta MR, Mascola L, et al. HIV transmission through donor artificial insemination. JAMA. 1995 Mar 15;273(11):854-858.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines, 2010. MMWR. 2010;59(No. RR-12):1-110.
A guide to primary care of people with HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Health and Human Services website. Available at: http://hab.hrsa.gov/deliverhivaidscare/files/primary2004ed.pdf. Accessed May 15, 2013.
HIV and AIDS. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/hiv-and-aids.html. Updated December 2010. Accessed May 15, 2013.
HIV/AIDS. Center for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/index.html. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV transmitted from a living organ donor—New York City, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011 Mar 18;60(10):297-301.
HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease website. Available at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/HIVAIDS/Understanding/Pages/whatAreHIVAIDS.aspx. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014