Return to Index
Screening for Alzheimers Disease
Screening Tests or Guidelines
- Neurological exam—to test the nervous system (brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles) for evidence of other neurological disorders
- Wechsler's Logical Memory and Visual Reproduction and Kendrick Object Learning Test—may be used if you have symptoms of depression
- Seven-Minute Screen
- Mini-Mental State Exam
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA)
- Memory Impairment Screening
- Self-assessment cognitive test—this is a test that you take on your own to assess your memory
Alzheimers disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated August 19, 2013. Accessed September 6, 2013.
Alzheimer's disease medications fact sheet. National Institute on Aging website. Available at: http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publications/medicationsfs.htm. Updated July 22, 2013. Accessed September 6, 2013.
Drago V, Babiloni C, et al. Disease tracking markers for Alzheimer’s disease at the prodromal (MCI) stage. J Alzhemier’s Dis. 2011;26 Suppl 3:159-199.
Hampel H, Fran R, et al. Biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease: academic, industry and regulatory perspectives. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2010;9(7):560-74.
Know the 10 signs. Alzheimer’s Association website. Available at: http://www.alz.org/alzheimers%5Fdisease%5F10%5Fsigns%5Fof%5Falzheimers.asp. Accessed September 6, 2013.
Roalf DR, Moberg PJ, et al. Comparative accuracies of two common screening instruments for classification of Alzheimer’s disease, mild cognitive impairment, and healthy aging. Alzheimers Dement. 2012; Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Wolk DA, Klunk W. Update on amyloid imaging: from healthy aging to Alzheimer's disease. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2009;9(5):345-352.
7/6/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Brown J, Pengas G, et al. Self administered cognitive screening test (TYM) for detection of Alzheimer's disease: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2009;338:b2030.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013