Return to Index
Conditions InDepth: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Various viruses (such as, Epstein-Barr virus, enteroviruses, parvovirus B19 )
- Malfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis
- Emotional stress
- Iron-poor blood ( anemia )
- Low blood sugar ( hypoglycemia )
- Low blood pressure
- Environmental allergy or toxins
- Body-wide yeast infection ( candidiasis )
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. American Academy of Family Physicians Familydoctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html . Updated November 2010. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/index.html . Updated May 16, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated November 10, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Devanur LD, Kerr JR. Chronic fatigue syndrome. J Clin Virol. 2006;37:139-150.
Prins JB, van der Meer JW, et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome. Lancet. 2006;367:346-355.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013
- Update Date: 01/15/2014