Return to Index
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Type 1)
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun.
- Reduce physical and emotional stress.
- Practice good hygiene habits.
- Get adequate sleep and eat a healthful diet.
- Avoid touching the sores. Especially avoid contact with any open cuts on your skin.
- Wash your hands often during the day.
- Take care not to spread the virus to other parts of your body, such as the eyes and genital area.
Cold sores. Nemours Kids Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/common/cold%5Fsores.html. Updated October 2010. Accessed March 20, 2013.
Herpes labialis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 27, 2011. Accessed March 20, 2013.
Herpes simplex: Diagnosis, treatment, and outcome. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/herpes-simplex/diagnosis-treatment/herpes-simplex-diagnosis-treatment-and-outcome. Accessed March 20, 2013.
Kuehl B. Cold sores: how to prevent and treat them. Skin Care Guide website. Available at: http://www.skincareguide.ca/articles/herpes/to%5Fprevent%5Fcold%5Fsores.html. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014
- Update Date: 05/02/2014