Return to Index
Turkey Stuffed Cabbage
This hearty entree uses half ground turkey and half lean ground beef and no added salt for a lower fat and lower salt taste treat.
|Serving Size||2 rolls each|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Lean ground beef||½ pound|
|Ground turkey||½ pound|
|Onion, minced||1 small|
|Stale whole wheat bread, crumbled||1 slice|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Diced tomatoes||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Onion, sliced||1 small|
|Carrot, sliced||1 medium|
|Lemon juice||1 tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||2 tablespoons|
- Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper toweling.
- Shred ½ cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
- Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper in mixing bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add ½ cup tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well; then place ¼ cup filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Place folded side down in skillet.
- Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.