Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
General Tips for Gathering Information
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and ask questions you may not have considered.
- Write your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you receive, and make sure you understand what is being said. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for more information. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your doctor
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for non-Hodgkins lymphoma?
- What can I do to reduce my risk of developing non-Hodgkins lymphoma?
- What is the stage of my cancer?
- Was it caught early?
What is the best treatment option for non-Hodgkins lymphoma?
- What other options are there?
- What are the risks and benefits associated with this treatment plan?
- How long will the treatments last?
- What side effects should I watch for?
- Will my daily routine need to change?
- How will I feel during treatment?
- What will I need to do to take care of myself during the treatment period?
- What will we do if the treatment does not succeed?
- How can I protect myself against infection?
- Do I need to make changes in my diet?
- Can I exercise? If so, how much?
- Will the treatments kill all the cancer cells?
- How do I know that my treatment program is effective?
- What can I do to protect my ability to have children in the future?
- Do you know of a support group I could join?
Lymphoma. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Available at: http://www.lls.org/diseaseinformation/lymphoma . Updated April 19, 2013. Accessed April 29, 2013.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/non-hodgkin . Accessed April 29, 2013.
What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/non-hodgkinlymphoma/detailedguide/non-hodgkin-lymphoma-what-is-non-hodgkin-lymphoma?sitearea=CRI . Updated May 27, 2013. Accessed April 29, 2013.