Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Ovarian Cancer
- Women with a first degree relative with ovarian or breast cancer
- Women who have had breast cancer before age 40
- Women who test positive for a genetic mutation (BRCA1 or BRCA2)
- Have an annual health checkup with a pelvic exam
- Eat a low-fat diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain a healthy weight so the doctor can easily feel your ovaries
Kasper DL, Harrison TR. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1998.
Ovarian cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated December 2013. Accessed January 3, 2014
Ovarian cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/ovarian. Accessed January 3, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 01/2014
- Update Date: 02/10/2014