Return to Index
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer Disease
- May awaken you from sleep
- May change when you eat
- May last for a few minutes or several hours
- Feels like unusually strong hunger pangs
- May be relieved by taking antacids
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Vomiting what looks like coffee grounds or blood
H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.aspx . Updated April 30, 2012. Accessed April 29, 2013.
Meurer LN, Bower DJ. Management of helicobacter pylori infection. Am Fam Physician . 2002;65(7):1327-36.
Peptic ulcer disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated April 22, 2013. Accessed April 29, 2013.
Understanding peptic ulcer disease. American Gastroenterological Association website. Available at: http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/peptic-ulcer-disease . Published April 23, 2010. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 04/2013
- Update Date: 03/18/2013