Return to Index
Treatments for Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Elimination of Helicobacter pylori infection if present
- Treating excess bleeding
- Promoting healing of the ulcer
- Relieving pain and discomfort
- Avoiding the development of complications such as perforation, obstruction
- Preventing ulcer recurrence
H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.aspx . Updated April 30, 2012. Accessed April 29, 2013.
Meurer LN, Bower DJ. Management of helicobacter pylori infection. Am Fam Physician . 2002;65(7):1327-36.
Peptic ulcer disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated April 22, 2013. Accessed April 29, 2013.
Understanding peptic ulcer disease. American Gastroenterological Association website. Available at: http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/peptic-ulcer-disease . Published April 23, 2010. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 04/2013
- Update Date: 03/18/2013