Return to Index
Swiss Chard Lasagna
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Swiss chard, cleaned and ends trimmed||½ pound (about 1 bunch)|
|Low-fat ricotta cheese||10 ounces|
|Parmesan cheese, shredded||2/3 cup|
|Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded||2/3 cup|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small yellow onions, diced||2|
|Garlic cloves, sliced||3|
|Crushed tomatoes||28-ounce can|
|Dried basil||1 teaspoon|
|No cook lasagna noodles (need about ½ box)||1 box|
|1% milk||½ cup|
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place the chard in a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool a bit. Squeeze out any excess water and cut the chard into large pieces.
- Mix chard, ricotta, and 1/3 cup of each type of shredded cheese in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for a few minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add tomatoes and basil. Cook for 10-15 minutes without a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Coat a 9x9-inch, or similar-sized, baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Layer first with the chard-ricotta mixture, then the noodles, and then the sauce. Repeat layers about 2 more times (or until sauces run out), finishing with tomato sauce on top. Add the milk around the pan’s edges and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 30-35 minutes.
Exchanges 1 starch; 2 vegetables; 1.5 dairy; 1 medium-fat meat; ½ fat
Side Suggestions: Classic Salad Wash, slice, and dry romaine lettuce. Add sliced tomatoes, red onion, and cucumber. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, or dressing of your choice.
Side Suggestions: Whole Wheat Baguette