Return to Index
Risk Factors for Sinusitis
Certain Medical Conditions
- A recent cold
- Medication, such as prolonged use of decongestant sprays
- Nasal obstruction due to:
- Certain chronic illnesses, including:
- Head injury or a medical condition requiring a tube inserted in the nose
- Traveling to high altitudes
- Air pollution
- Living in the Midwest or southern United States
Rakel RE, Bope ET. Conn’s Current Therapy . 54th ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 2002.
Sinus infection (sinusitis). National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/sinusitis/Pages/Index.aspx . Accessed September 12, 2008.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014