Return to Index
Keep the Weight off When You Quit Smoking
- Plan ahead and space your meals every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid coffee if possible, and drink more water.
- Eat a balanced diet with good carbohydrates and proteins .
- Know your smoking triggers. If certain foods make you want to smoke, avoid them and change to something else.
- To avoid after meal cravings, eat a small healthy dessert like fruit, angel food cake, or something sugar-free.
- Keep healthy snack options like carrots or popcorn, readily available.
- Find something you enjoy doing
- Go slowly and build yourself up each day
- Start with walking
- Go for short walks during coffee breaks
Many Other Benefits
- Ability to breathe
American Lung Association http://www.lung.org/
Smoke Free.gov http://www.smokefree.gov/
Canadian Lung Association http://www.lung.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
American Cancer Society. Guide to quitting smoking. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED%5F10%5F13X%5FGuide%5Ffor%5FQuitting%5FSmoking.asp?from=fast . Updated November 8, 2012. Accessed November 26, 2012.
A Quit Smoking Guide. Smokefree. gov website. Available at: http://women.smokefree.gov/pubs/508%5Faccessible%5FCLEAR%5FHORIZONS.pdf . Accessed November 26, 2012.
Chiolero A, Faeh D, Paccaud F, Cornuz J. Consequences of smoking for body weight, body fat distribution, and insulin resistance. Am J Clin Nutr . 2008;87(4):801-809.
Choose a Healthier Lifestyle. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442466235&terms=quitting+smoking . Accessed November 26, 2012.
Harms of Smoking and Health Benefits of Quitting. National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health website. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cessation . Accessed November 26, 2012.
Taylor AH, Ussher MH, Faulkner G. The acute effects of exercise on cigarette cravings, withdrawal symptoms, affect and smoking behaviour: a systematic review. Addiction . 2007;102(4):534-543.
Tobacco Use Disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated November 19, 2012. Accessed November 26, 2012.
Weight Control Information Network. You can control your weight as you quit smoking. Weight Control Information Network, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/smoking.htm . Updated February 2010. Accessed November 26, 2012..
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012
- Update Date: 11/26/2012