Return to Index
Boutique Options Offer Greater Choice in Medical Care
Do You Want to Make the Switch?
- Learn about the doctor’s experience and credentials.
- Ask about access to specialty and emergency care.
- Ask if the practice accepts your insurance plan and find out about their billing practices.
- Be cautious of practices trying to have it both ways, with some patients receiving boutique access and others not.
- Look for extra value, such as comprehensive exams and wellness plans.
- Stay within your budget.
American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org
United States Department of Health and Human Services http://www.hhs.gov
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Conway C. Physician ownership of hospitals significantly impacted by health care reform legislation. University of Houston Law Center. http://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/perspectives/2010/%28CC%29%20Stark.pdf. Published April 2010. Accessed October 7, 2014.
Franklin D. Morning rounds: boutique hospitals and health insurers. National Public Radio website. Available at: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/07/morning%5Frounds%5Fboutique%5Fhospit.html. Published July 13, 2010. Accessed October 7, 2014.
Silva C. Concierge medicine a mere blip on Medicare radar. amednews.com. 2010 Sept 30. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/09/27/gvse0930.htm. Accessed October 7, 2014.
US ‘boutique medicine’ could threaten care for the majority. Br Med J. 2002 Jan 26;324.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 10/08/2014