Return to Index
(Tendinopathy, Peroneal; Peroneal Tendonitis; Tendonitis, Peroneal; Peroneal; Peroneal Tendon Injury)
- Tendonitis—inflammation of the tendon
- Tendinosis—tiny tears in the tendon tissue with no significant inflammation
- Repetitive overuse injuries which may occur from regular activities
- Trauma to the ankle such as a sudden twisting of the ankle or foot
- A sprained ankle that turned inward
- Overstretching the foot
- High arched foot
- Previous ankle sprain or injury
- Weak ankles
- MRI scan
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDs)
- Prescription pain relievers
- Corticosteroid injections
- Avoiding activities and sports that repeatedly stress the ankle.
- Do not put yourself at risk for trauma to the ankle.
- Build strong muscles to support your joints.
- Gradually increasing the frequency and intensity of exercise.
- Learn proper technique for sports and exercise.
American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society http://aofas.org
OrthoInfo.org—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://canorth.org
ACR Appropriateness Criteria chronic ankle pain. AHRQ National Guideline Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=15735. Accessed May 6, 2013.
Heckman D, Reddy M, Pedowitz D, et al. Operative treatment for peroneal tendon disorders. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90:404-418.
Peroneal tendon injuries. American College of Food and Ankle Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/peroneal-tendon.htm. Updated December 18, 2009. Accessed May 6, 2013.
Peroneal tendinopathy. EBSCO Dynamed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Accessed May 6, 2013.
4/24/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Wise JN, Weissman BN, et al. American College of Radiology (ACR) Appropriateness Criteria for chronic foot pain. Available at: http://www.acr.org/~/media/ACR/Documents/AppCriteria/Diagnostic/ChronicFootPain.pdf. Updated 2013. Accessed April 24, 2014.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, PT, DPT, OCS
- Review Date: 03/2014
- Update Date: 04/29/2014