Return to Index
Helicobacter Pylori Infection
( H. Pylori Infection)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fecal-oral contact
- Oral-oral contact
- Close contact with an infected person
- A crowded and unsanitary living environment
Abdominal pain that may:
- Awaken you from sleep
- Change when you eat
- Last for a few minutes or several hours
- Feel like unusually strong hunger pangs
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools
- Vomiting blood
- Blood tests
- Stool test
- Endoscopy—a thin, lighted tube inserted down your throat to look inside your stomach and to take tissue samples for testing
- Urea breath test—a test that can help detect if there is a current infection
- Antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection
- H-2 blockers
- Proton pump inhibitors
The American College of Gastroenterology http://www.gi.org
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Ontario Association of Gastroenterology http://www.gastro.on.ca
Helicobacter pylori. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/aip/research/hp.html. Accessed April 12, 2011.
Helicobacter pylori infection. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 29, 2013. Accessed May 14, 2013.
Helicobacter pylori and peptic ulcer disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/keytocure.htm. Updated September 28, 2006. Accessed May 14, 2013.
Travelers health helicobacter pylori. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/helicobacter-pylori.htm. Updated July 1, 2011. Accessed May 14, 2013.
Weyermann M, Rothenbacher D, Brenner H. Acquisition of Helicobacter pylori infection in early childhood: independent contributions of infected mothers, fathers, and siblings. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104(1):182-189.
9/22/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Fuccio L, Zagari RM, et al. Meta-analysis: can Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment reduce the risk for gastric cancer? Ann Intern Med. 2009 Jul 21;151(2):121-128.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014
- Update Date: 09/22/2014