Return to Index
Meconium Aspiration Syndrome
- Post-term delivery (delivery after 42 weeks of pregnancy)
- Cesarean delivery
- Abnormal heart rate during labor
- Reduced amniotic fluid
- Low or high birth weight
- Meconium below the baby’s vocal cords
- Low APGAR score after birth (assessment score of baby after birth)
- High blood pressure
- Respiratory disease
- Heart disease
- Heavily meconium stained amniotic fluid
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Breathing that is too rapid or too slow
- Blue skin color due to lack of oxygen
- Nostrils that spread outward when breathing
- Reduced muscle tone or spontaneous movement
- A heart rate of less than 100 beats per minute
- The doctor may need to see pictures of your baby’s chest. This can be done with:
The doctor may also need to measure the level of oxygen in the blood. This can be done with:
- Pulse oximetry
- Blood tests
- Manage chronic conditions. This includes high blood pressure, diabetes, respiratory disease, and heart disease.
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about how you can quit.
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
Nemours Kid's Health http://kidshealth.org
About Kids Health http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Canadian Paediatric Society http://www.cps.ca
Meconium aspiration. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/lungs/meconium.html. Updated October 2011. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Meconium aspiration. Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital website. Available at: http://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=meconium-aspiration-90-P02384. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Meconium aspiration. University of Rochester Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/Encyclopedia/Content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90&ContentID=P02384. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Meconium aspiration syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 5, 2014. Accessed August 18, 2014.
- Reviewer: Kari Kassir, MD
- Review Date: 08/2014
- Update Date: 00/93/2013