Return to Index
|Area Affected By Lumbar Radiculopathy|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Birth defects in the structure of the disc
- Strenuous activity, especially heavy lifting
- Previous spinal surgery
- Physical mobility tests
- Pain sensation tests
- Reflex tests
- Electrodiagnostics to test nerve conduction speed
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Prescription pain relievers
- Muscle relaxers
- Corticosteroid injections into the spine
- Laminectomy-an open procedure to remove a portion of the bony arch of the spine
- Microdiscectomy-a portion of the herniated disc is removed with instruments or a laser
- Maintain proper weight with a healthy diet and regular exercise
- Learn how to properly lift heavy items
- Exercise your back to keep muscles strong and flexible
- Use proper technique when playing sports to avoid back injury
- Avoid excess straining or stretching of your neck and back
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
American Chronic Pain Association http://www.theacpa.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Canadian Pain Society http://www.canadianpainsociety.ca
Chronic low back pain. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated July 2, 2013. Accessed July 8, 2013.
Lumbar disc herniation. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated June 28, 2013. Accessed July 8, 2013.
Lumbar radiculopathy. Advancing Neuromuscular, Musculoskeletal, and Electrodiagnostic Medicine website. Available at: http://www.aanem.org/Education/Patient-Resources/Disorders/Lumbar-Radiculopathy.aspx. Accessed July 8, 2013.
Lumbar radiculopathy. Spine Health website. Available at: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/lower-back-pain/lumbar-radiculopathy. Accessed July 8, 2013.
Lumbar spinal stenosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated February 25, 2013. Accessed July 8, 2013.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, DPT
- Review Date: 01/2014