About the Center for Joint Replacement & Revision
If painful hips and knees are limiting your mobility and quality of life, joint replacement could be the answer. At the nationally recognized Center for Joint Replacement & Revision at Saint Francis Medical Center in southeast Missouri, an extraordinary experience awaits.
Our unprecedented joint replacement program achieves exceptional outcomes and promises excellence every step of the way. From your first phone call through surgery and recovery, you will receive exceptional education, support, guidance and clinical care. This helps you get back in action sooner and stronger.
Some clear advantages of our program include:
Our research-based joint replacement program delivers unparalleled care at every stage, from comprehensive presurgical education and preparation through surgery, rehabilitation and return home. This proven approach consistently leads to:
- Better outcomes
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster recovery
- Less pain
Joint Care Coordinator
The Center’s joint care coordinator, Amy Brentlinger RN, BSN, is also with you through every stage. She is responsible for your care needs from the preoperative course through discharge and postoperative follow-up.
The joint care coordinator will:
- Assess and plan for your specific care needs
- Coordinate your discharge plan with the case manager to outpatient services, your home or a skilled facility
- Act as your liaison throughout the course of treatment from preoperative through postoperative discharge
- Answer questions and coordinate your Medical Center care with Center for Joint Replacement & Revision team members
Skilled Experts, Specialized Care
Using the latest technologies and treatments, the region’s leading orthopedic surgeons, joint specialists, and other clinical experts guide your care. With specialized training and years of experience in joint replacement surgery, they are uniquely qualified to provide the specialized services you need–including two procedures at the forefront of orthopedic medicine:
- The Anterior Approach to Total Hip Replacement. In addition to conventional total hip replacement surgeries, the Center now offers the anterior approach to total hip replacement. In this new, minimally invasive procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the front (anterior) of the hip. With this anterior incision, the surgeon can reach the hip bone through the natural gap between the muscles and does not have to detach and reattach other leg muscles. In addition to a smaller incision, the procedure promises simplified, accelerated rehabilitation; reduced dislocation risk; and more accurate leg length control.
- Revision Joint Replacement. Also called revision arthroplasty, this procedure is done to replace original, worn-out knee and hip replacement implants with new components. It is a more extensive and complicated procedure that requires a mastery of difficult surgical techniques.
Family and loved ones are involved from start to finish, acting as your personal “coaches.” You will also have opportunities to connect with other patients undergoing joint replacement procedures during group therapy. This allows you to share insights, experiences and support, motivating each other to reach the highest potential during recovery.
Studies show that patients who are well prepared and involved in their care have a smoother recovery from joint and knee replacement surgery. The Center for Joint Replacement & Revision brings you the power of knowledge every step of the way through our strong focus on education for you and your loved ones. Having facts and answers helps you worry less and heal faster.
“Well” Focused Care
The Center for Joint Replacement & Revision recognizes that joint replacement patients are not sick but are healthy adults working to return to an active life. Our highly focused wellness and rehabilitation strategies are designed to maximize comfort, shorten hospital stays and speed your return to life.
Rankings and Accreditations
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row (2010–2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 2 Years in a Row (2012–2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in MO for Overall Orthopedic Services for 5 Years in a Row (2009–2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in MO for Joint Replacement for 4 Years in a Row (2010–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Overall Orthopedic Services for 4 Years in a Row (2010–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Joint Replacement for 4 Years in a Row (2010–2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 5 Years in a Row (2010–2014)
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 4 Years in a Row (2010–2013)
Ratings and Designations
Saint Francis Ranked #1 Nationwide in Joint Replacement
Saint Francis Medical Center has ranked best overall for excellence in joint replacement surgery in a recent study by Marshall | Steele, a physician-led healthcare services firm focused on transforming traditional hospital service lines into Destination Centers of Superior Performance™. This independent industry leader compiled, validated and calculated data from hospitals across the U.S. to create a Destination Center Scorecard for Joint Replacement Surgery. Saint Francis ranked the best in the nation.
Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Surgery
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Missouri has designated Saint Francis Medical Center as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Surgery. The designation is based on rigorous, evidence-based, objective selection criteria established in collaboration with expert physicians’ and medical organizations’ recommendations. The program is part of The Blues® efforts to collaborate with physicians and medical facilities to improve the overall quality and safety of specialty care. To be designated, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield evaluated the range of services in each area of expertise, experience and training of surgeons, quality management programs, clinical pathways, and patient involvement in education and shared decision making.
For more information on the Center for Joint Replacement & Revision, or to find out about the next community education seminar to learn about options in joint replacement, call 573–331–5593.