Return to Index
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Contact with feces containing the parasitic cysts. Infected feces can be:
- Animal such as cats, dogs, beavers, and cows
- Eating food, drinking water, or swimming in water contaminated by the parasitic cysts
- Contact with a person's hands that are contaminated with parasite cyst-infected stool
- Unsanitary or crowded living conditions
Drinking untreated water, such as:
- Well water
- Stream or lake water
Low stomach acid, often found in:
- Older adults
- People on ulcer drugs
- Oral-anal sex
- A weakened immune system
- Working or staying in a daycare center or nursing home
- International travelers
- Internationally adopted children, who may have more than one parasitic infection
- Hikers, campers, and swimmers
- Stool tests
- Fluid or tissue samples taken from the intestine
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
Wash hands several times a day, especially:
- Before eating or preparing food.
- After a bowel movement.
- After changing a diaper.
- Bring bottled water for drinking, cooking, and brushing teeth.
- Purify untreated water before using—boil, filter, or sterilize.
- Thoroughly wash or peel raw fruits and vegetables before eating.
When traveling overseas:
- Use only bottled water for drinking, cooking, or brushing teeth.
- Only eat food that is well cooked and served steaming hot.
- Do not let children with diarrhea go into swimming pools.
- Keep swimming pools properly chlorinated.
- Stay home from work until the infection is gone. Keep children home from school or daycare until the infection is gone.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 05/2016
- Update Date: 05/11/2013