Laugh Three Times and Call Me in the Morning
Anecdotal evidence and some studies seem to indicate that laughter can help us heal. Scientists are still investigating, but don't wait for them. Just yuck it up. It certainly can't hurt.
The Benefits of Laughter
Laughter is a powerful coping mechanism that you rely on when you need to lighten your mood. The health benefits associated with laughter are also convincing enough to give this free treatment a try.
Researchers have found that laughter may:
- Bolster the immune system
- Lower stress hormones
- Decrease pain
- Relax muscles
- Prevent heart disease
- Lessen fear and anxiety
Laughing It Off
If you're looking for ways to start laughing it up, consider these methods:
- Pickup a joke book or collection of funny essays
- Watch a funny movie or TV show
- Share a good joke or funny story
- Make time for fun activities, such as playing miniature golf
- Go to a comedy club
- Put together some quotes or photos that make you smile and post them where you can see them
- Keep a funny audio book in the car and listen to it while you are stuck in traffic
- Try surfing the internet for funny videos or stories
So, the next time you feel ill, add a little laughter to your treatment plan. It may help ease your pain.
Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor
Mental Health America
Canadian Mental Health Association
Create joy and satisfaction. Mental Health America website. Available at: http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/create-joy-and-satisfaction. Accessed August 2, 2016.
Laughter is the best medicine. HelpGuide.org website. Available at: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm. Accessed August 2, 2016.