Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
- Socialize without alcohol.
- Avoid going to bars.
- Do not keep alcohol in your home.
- Avoid situations and people that encourage drinking.
- Make new nondrinking friends.
- Do fun things that do not involve alcohol.
- Avoid reaching for a drink when stressed or upset.
- Drink slowly.
- Replace a drink with something else you really enjoy
Limit your alcohol intake to a moderate level.
- Moderate is two or fewer drinks per day for men and one or fewer drinks per day for women and older adults.
- A 12-ounce bottle of beer, a 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5 ounces of liquor is considered one drink.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Adrian Preda, MD
- Review Date: 03/2017
- Update Date: 04/10/2015