Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Asthma
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- Consider keeping a diary of your symptoms, asthma triggers, and a schedule of your medications. Share this with your doctor during every visit.
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for asthma?
- How can I decrease my risk of asthma or asthma attacks?
- What is the best treatment for me?
- What should I do if I am having an asthma attack?
What medications are best suited for my asthma condition?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, dietary, or herbal supplements I am already taking for other conditions?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
- Is it safe to exercise?
- Are there certain exercises that are safer than others?
- Are there any foods that I should avoid?
- Should I avoid alcohol?
- I'm a smoker. Where can I find help for quitting?
- Do I need to avoid pregnancy because of my medications?
- If I become pregnant, should I stop or restrict intake of asthma medication and are there ways I can reduced my child's risk of asthma?
- Is there something in my home and/or work environment that may cause asthma? If so, what can I do about it?
- How can I modify my environment to reduce asthma attacks?
- How will asthma affect my activities?
- Will I continue to have asthma for the next several years?
- Will I have asthma all my life?
- Will the severity of the asthma change?
- Will asthma shorten my life expectancy?
- Will my children have asthma?
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015
- Update Date: 08/11/2015