Return to Index
Pasta With Sausage and Sun-dried Tomatoes
|Total Fat||17.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||57.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8.5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Dried sun-dried tomatoes, sliced (use scissors to cut into small strips)||¼ cup|
|Whole wheat penne (or other pasta)||4 ounces|
|Hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed||½ pound|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Garlic cloves, thinly sliced||2|
|Reduced sodium chicken stock||½ cup|
|Swiss chard (about ½ pound), washed and stems removed||1 bunch|
|Parmesan cheese, grated||2 tablespoons|
- Steam sun-dried tomatoes in a small amount of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, omitting salt and oil.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes, breaking it apart with a fork as it cooks, until evenly browned. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet. Stir around, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the Swiss chard, cover and cook for another 2 minutes, until Swiss chard is tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add in sun-dried tomatoes and drained pasta. Stir to combine. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
3 lean meats; 1 fat; 1 vegetable; 3.5 starches
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cut a butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut-side down on a well-oiled baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork.