Return to Index
Chicken and Wild Mushroom Risotto
|Total Fat||14.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||45.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Olive oil||2 + 2 teaspoons|
|Shiitake or crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced||4 ounces|
|Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces||½ pound|
|Reduced-sodium chicken stock, more if needed||2 cups|
|Small yellow onion, minced||½|
|Arborio rice||½ cup|
|Dry white wine||½ cup|
|Parmesan cheese, grated||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Fresh parsley, chopped||1 tablespoon|
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook another 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Transfer mixture to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Heat stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the large pot. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 4-5 minutes. Add the rice and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the wine and simmer, stirring continuously, until all the wine is absorbed. Add ½ cup of warmed stock, and cook, stirring frequently, until stock is absorbed.
- Continue cooking the rice, adding ½ cup stock at a time and stirring frequently, allowing almost all of the stock to evaporate before adding the next ½ cup. Continue cooking until all the stock is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. (If necessary, add more stock.)
- Stir in the chicken, mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Top with remaining tablespoon Parmesan cheese and the fresh, chopped parsley.
3 starches; 3 very lean meats; 1 lean meat substitute; 2 fats; 1 vegetable
Top 2 cups arugula salad with 1 sliced pear, and 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette.