Return to Index
Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into big chunks||2|
|Medium yellow onions, quartered||2|
|Olive oil||1 + 1 tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||¼ + ½ + ½ teaspoon|
|Chicken||1 (3-4 pound)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1/8 + 1/8 teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley, roughly chopped||½ cup|
|Tablespoon butter, melted||1|
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place sweet potatoes and onions in a large baking dish or roasting pan. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Push vegetables to the sides of the dish, making room for the chicken.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the cavity of the chicken, rinse the chicken under cold running water, and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken, breast-side up, in the center of the baking dish. Season the cavity with ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Then fill the cavity with the parsley, rosemary, and lemon.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the melted butter. Rub the outside of the chicken with the oil-butter mixture and then season with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and baste with the pan juices. Continue roasting for another 20-30 minutes, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh joint, away from the bone, registers 170°F-175°F. If the chicken is browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and let stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Carve the chicken, drizzle with any remaining juices, and serve with the potatoes and onions.
5 very lean meats; 1 starch; 1 vegetable; 2 fats