Return to Index
Bean and Macaroni Soup
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 mg|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Great northern beans||2 cans (16 oz each)|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh mushrooms, sliced||½ pound|
|Onion, coarsely chopped||1 cup|
|Carrots, sliced||2 cups|
|Celery, coarsely chopped||1 cup|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up||3 cups *|
|Dried sage||1 teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||½ teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|Bay leaf, crumbled||1|
|Elbow macaroni, cooked||4 cups|
As an alternative, use1-1/2 pound canned, whole, cut up tomatoes. The sodium content will be higher, though. Try "no salt added" canned tomatoes to keep sodium lower.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.