Return to Index
Skimming the fat off the chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means that this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
|Serving Size||½ cup|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top||1 cup|
|Uncooked long-grain white rice||1 1/3 cups|
|Vegetable oil||2 teaspoons|
|Finely chopped onion||2 tablespoons|
|Finely chopped green pepper||2 tablespoons|
|Chopped pecans||½ cup|
|Ground sage||¼ teaspoon|
|Finely chopped celery||1 cup|
|Sliced water chestnuts||½ cup|
|Black pepper to taste|
- Bring water and stock to a boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
- Sauté onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.