Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions ahead of time, so you do not forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Do not be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- What is the cause of my erectile dysfunction?
- Is there more than one cause?
- Do I have a medical condition that is affecting my sexual function? If so, how can we treat it?
Are any of my medications affecting my sexual function?
- If so, can we change them?
- Is there an alternative medication that will not affect my sexual function?
- Could any of my lifestyle habits be affecting my sexual function, such as smoking?
- What are the possible treatments for erectile dysfunction?
- Which treatment is appropriate for me? Why?
- What should I do to prepare for treatment?
- What risks and side effects should I expect?
- Will treatment affect my normal activities?
- Will I be able to father children after treatment?
- What is likely to happen without treatment?
What medications are available to me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
- Can you recommend a counselor to help with this problem?
- Can you recommend a program to help me quit smoking?
- Can you recommend a program to help me stop using recreational drugs?
- Should I stop drinking alcohol?
- Should I change my diet? If so, what dietary changes should I make?
- What are my chances of returning to satisfying sexual function?
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 03/2017
- Update Date: 03/15/2015