Return to Index
Winter Vegetable Stew
|Serving Size||1/6 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||10|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A||250% DV|
|Vitamin C||120% DV|
Servings and Times
|Preparation Time||45 minutes|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Onions, cut into ½ inch wedges||1 cup|
|Banana or Hubbard squash||1 pound|
|Red bell pepper||1|
|Low sodium, low-fat vegetable broth||2 cups|
|Puréed tomato||1 cup|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Frozen peas||1 (10 ounce) package|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Cilantro sprigs, rinsed, or thinly sliced green onions||1 bunch|
- Peel onions and cut into ½ inch thick wedges.
- Peel the sweet potato, carrots, squash, and parsnips; cut into ¾ inch pieces.
- Peel and mince or press garlic.
- Rinse bell pepper; stem, seed, and cut into ½ inch strips.
- Cook onions, sweet potato, carrots, squash, parsnips, garlic, and 1 cup of broth in a covered pan for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if mixture begins sticking to pan. Add 1 more cup of broth, along with the bell pepper, tomato sauce, lime juice, and cayenne to taste.
- Return to a boil, and then reduce heat. Simmer covered until vegetables are tender when pierced, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- If stew sticks to pan or gets thicker than desired, add more broth as needed.
- Add peas and stir occasionally until hot, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro or sliced green onions.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 3; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 1; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.