Return to Index
Silky Lentil Soup
|Serving Size||1/6 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||25|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||44 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A||140% DV|
|Vitamin C||45% DV|
Servings and Times
|Preparation Time||1 hour, 10 minutes|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|Canola oil||1 tablespoon|
|Medium carrots, sliced||2|
|Medium onion, chopped||1|
|Medium green pepper, chopped||1|
|Lentils, uncooked||1 cup|
|Brown rice, uncooked||1/3 cup|
|Black pepper||½ teaspoon|
|Low sodium vegetable broth||1 can (15 ounces)|
|Tomato sauce, no salt added||1 jar (8 ounces)|
|Fat-free milk||2 cups|
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray and add oil. Place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add carrots, onion, and green pepper; sauté until tender.
- Add water and all remaining ingredients except milk; stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Put half of the lentil mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Pour puree into a bowl. Repeat pureeing with remaining mixture. Return all puree to pot, stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.