Return to Index
Other Treatments for Managing Fibromyalgia
There are different types of psychological therapies that are available to treat fibromyalgia. Examples include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)—This is a form of talk therapy that focuses on your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Relaxation-based therapy—This includes learning strategies, like meditation, to reduce stress.
- Biofeedback—During a biofeedback session, a therapist guides you to relax certain muscles or control breathing, while an electronic device shows your body’s response.
Other therapies that may help to alleviate fibromyalgia pain and symptoms include:
- Physical therapy
- Heat treatments
- Acupuncture and acupressure
- Trigger point therapy
- Myofascial release (a special type of therapy that involves manipulating connective tissue with pressure)
- Mind-body therapies such as yoga, Tai chi, relaxation therapy, or meditation
See alternative and complementary therapies for more information about acupuncture and fibromyalgia.
About fibromyalgia. National Fibromyalgia Association website. Available at: http://www.fmaware.org/about-fibromyalgia. Accessed September 14, 2016.
Biofeedback. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary. Updated September 18, 2014. Accessed September 14, 2016.
Fibromyalgia. American College of Rheumatology website. Available at: http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Fibromyalgia. Updated May 2015. Accessed September 14, 2016.
Fibromyalgia. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116339/Fibromyalgia. Updated September 18, 2016. Accessed October 4, 2016.
Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Updated July 2014. Accessed September 14, 2016.
Treatment. Fibromyalgia Network website. Available at: http://fmnetnews.iraherman.com/fibro-basics/treatment. Accessed September 14, 2016.
6/18/2010 DynaMed Plus Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116339/Fibromyalgia: Palermo TM, Eccleston C, Lewandowski AS, Williams AC, Morley S. Randomized controlled trials of psychological therapies for management of chronic pain in children and adolescents: an updated meta-analytic review. Pain. 2010;148(3):387-397.
2/9/2012 DynaMed Plus Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116339/Fibromyalgia: Castro-Sánchez AM, Matarán-Peñarrocha GA, Arroyo-Morales M, et al. Effects of myofascial release techniques on pain, physical function, and postural stability in patients with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil. 2011;25(9):800-813.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2016
- Update Date: 09/17/2014