Return to Index
Symptoms of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
General symptoms such as:
- Fever without signs of infection
- Swollen, enlarged lymph nodes which may be felt around the throat
- Unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite
- Mouth symptoms, such as ulcerations
- Musculoskeletal symptoms such as:
- Arthritis—inflammation of the joints
- Arthralgia—pain in the joints
- Inflammation of the muscles
- Muscle weakness
Skin symptoms such as:
- A hallmark symptom of SLE is a butterfly-shaped rash over the nose and cheeks
- Photosensitivity—sensitivity to sun and light, easily burned by the sun
- Hair loss
- Raynaud's phenomenon—reduced circulation resulting in numbness, or blue or white fingertips when cold
- Red or purple rash
- Heart and lung symptoms, such as chest pain and shortness of breath
- Gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- Kidney symptoms, such as blood in the urine or swelling
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms, such as:
|A Hallmark Symptom of SLE|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Kidney disease—Chronic inflammation can damage of structures in the kidney. Damage prevents the kidneys from working properly.
- Cardiovascular disorders—Inflammation can affect tissue of the blood vessels, heart, and heart valves. The inflammation and long term tissue damage can contribute to a variety of cardiovascular conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart failure, heart attack, or stroke.
- Respiratory problems—Chronic inflammation can eventually damage and scar the tissue of the lungs or the lining around the lungs. Damaged lung tissue makes it more difficult to get oxygen into the blood and cause chest pain or difficulty breathing.
- Neurological disorders—Inflammation of nerves can contribute to headaches, mood disorders, cognitive impairment, psychosis, and seizures .
- Blood disorders—Inflammation can also lead to damage of individual blood cells and lead to anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, or an increased risk of blood clots (which can lead to heart attack or stroke).
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2016
- Update Date: 05/17/2016