Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Menopause
General Tips for Gathering Information
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Should I have an examination to rule out other causes of my symptoms?
- Do I need certain tests to assess potential physical problems related to menopause?
- What can I expect as I go through menopause?
- Where can I get more information about menopause?
- What is my risk of developing osteoporosis? What can I do to decrease my risk?
- What is my risk of developing heart disease and high blood pressure? What can I do to decrease my risk?
- What is my risk of having breast cancer or other cancers? What can I do to decrease my risk?
- What treatments are available for menopausal symptoms?
What medications might help me?
- How long will they take to work?
- What benefits can I expect?
- What side effects can I expect?
- Have you helped other women going through menopause? If not, could you recommend a doctor or gynecologist who specializes in the care of menopausal women?
- Do you think I could benefit from counseling? Do you know a counselor who works with women who have issues concerning menopause?
- Do you know where I could find a support group for menopause?
- Can you explain the risks and benefits of hormone replacement therapy?
- How much training and experience do you have working with midlife women and menopausal issues?
- What is your basic approach to treatment?
- How long do I need treatment?
- How long and how frequent are the treatment sessions?
- What type of health insurance do you accept?
- Do you have special fee schedules and sliding scale fees to accompany various financial situations?
- What lifestyle changes can help me manage the symptoms of menopause?
I would like strategies to address:
- Diet and eating habits
- Getting better quality sleep
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Kim A. Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 03/2017
- Update Date: 03/15/2015