Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Quit smoking —When you quit smoking, the body begins to repair itself almost immediately. Increased RA risk is associated with more years of smoking.
Maintain a healthy weight—
(primarily in women) may be linked to:
- Higher overall risk of RA
- Earlier onset of RA, generally before 55 years of age
- Increased risk of RA when overweight at 18 years of age
- Drink alcohol in moderation—Some studies have suggested that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with reduced risk of RA. Moderate alcohol intake means 2 drinks or less per day for men, and 1 drink or less per day for women. Choosing not to drink alcohol is also acceptable.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2016
- Update Date: 05/20/2015