Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Sleep Apnea
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions ahead of time so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- Could my daytime sleepiness be due to sleep apnea?
- How do I get tested for sleep apnea?
- Will I need to see a specialist?
- How can I or my sleep partner tell if I’m having apnea episodes?
- Is it safe for me to continue to drive?
- Is it safe for me to operate heavy machinery?
- Is it safe for me to continue to participate in my usual activities?
- Is sleep apnea the only reason for my symptoms? What else could be causing my fatigue?
- Since I'm overweight, could I develop sleep apnea?
- Do I have any other risk factors for this condition?
- Are there other measures I can take to lower my risk?
- Are there any new trials of medications for sleep apnea that you would advise?
- Are there dental or orthodontic devices that might be helpful for my degree of sleep apnea?
- Is my condition severe enough that you would recommend surgery in order to avoid potential complications?
- What are the success rates of the different types of surgical interventions?
- How much weight should I lose in order to reduce my risk of sleep apnea?
- Which weight loss program would you recommend?
- Are there pillow systems to help me sleep on my side?
- Should I discontinue using alcohol and sedatives?
- Can you recommend a program to help me quit smoking?
- What kinds of sleep apnea complications might I be at risk for?
- Does sleep apnea stay the same or worsen?
- How severe does sleep apnea have to be to produce serious complications?
- What signs of complications should I be alert for?
- Reviewer: Marcie L. Sidman, MD
- Review Date: 12/2016
- Update Date: 05/20/2015