Return to Index
Symptoms of Infertility in Women
Symptoms of infertility in women include:
- One year of attempting pregnancy without success.
- Irregular menstrual cycles—This symptom may or may not be associated with infertility. Some women with this condition will conceive without difficulty.
- Pain with sexual intercourse—This symptom may or may not be associated with infertility. Some women with this condition will conceive without difficulty. Painful intercourse has a long list of etiologies; most have nothing to do with infertility.
- Inability to conceive after unprotected sexual intercourse.
- Recurrent miscarriage.
Fritz MC, Speroff L. Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinolgy and Infertility. Section IV: Infertility. 8th ed. New York, NY: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2011.
Infertility in women. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 2, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2015.
Overview of infertility. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/infertility/overview-of-infertility. August 2015. Accessed December 16, 2015.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 12/2015
- Update Date: 12/20/2014