Return to Index
Treatments for Menstrual Disorders
Menorrhagia (Heavy Bleeding)
The treatment options for menorrhagia are aimed at:
- Eliminating the underlying cause of the heavy bleeding
- Reducing the heavy bleeding with medications, surgical procedures, or other treatments
A major goal of treatment is to prevent anemia.
Amenorrhea (Lack of Menstruation)
The treatment options for amenorrhea are aimed at:
- Identifying and treating underlying conditions
- Restoring hormonal imbalances
- Identifying lifestyle factors that may be causing the absence of a menstrual period
Treatment for menstrual disorders involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatmentsAlternative and complementary therapies
Abnormal uterine bleeding. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated August 15, 2012. Accessed August 20, 2012.
Amenorrhea. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 15, 2012. Accessed August 20, 2012.
Menstruation and the menstrual cycle fact sheet. Office on Women's Health website. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menstruation.html. Updated October 21, 2009. Accessed August 20, 2012.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015
- Update Date: 09/17/2014