Return to Index
Treatments for Menstrual Disorders
Menorrhagia (Heavy Bleeding)
The treatment options for menorrhagia are aimed at:
- Eliminating the underlying cause of the heavy bleeding
- Reducing the heavy bleeding with medications, surgical procedures, or other treatments
A major goal of treatment is to prevent anemia.
Amenorrhea (Lack of Menstruation)
The treatment options for amenorrhea are aimed at:
- Identifying and treating underlying conditions
- Restoring hormonal imbalances
- Identifying lifestyle factors that may be causing the absence of a menstrual period
Treatment for menstrual disorders involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatmentsAlternative and complementary therapies
Abnormal uterine bleeding. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T361089/Abnormal-uterine-bleeding. Updated May 6, 2016. Accessed September 15, 2016.
Amenorrhea. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116009/Amenorrhea. Updated March 14, 2016. Accessed September 15, 2016.
Menstruation and the menstrual cycle fact sheet. Women's Health—US Department of Health and Human Services website. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menstruation.html. Updated December 23, 2014. Accessed September 15, 2016.
- Reviewer: Marcie Sidman, MD
- Review Date: 09/2016
- Update Date: 09/17/2014