Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Periodontal Disease
- Follow good dental self-care practices.
- Get regular professional dental care.
- Stop smoking.
- Eat nutritiously.
Brush your teeth twice daily:
- Use an end-rounded, soft-bristled toothbrush.
- If you have trouble managing with a manual toothbrush, consider using an electric toothbrush.
- Use a toothpaste containing fluoride.
- Hold your brush at a 45° angle with the bristles toward the gum.
- Brush every tooth surface and along the gum line, using small, circular motions.
- Clean between your teeth once each day, using either floss or another cleaning aid prescribed by your dentist.
- Ask your dentist if you would benefit from a fluoride mouth rinse.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2016
- Update Date: 09/17/2014