Return to Index
Exercise 101: Crunches
Type of Exercise—Multi-joint
Muscles used—Abdominal muscles
|© 2011 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Lie face up on an exercise mat.
- Bend your legs at the knees with your feet flat on the ground.
- Place your hands behind your ears, but do not clasp your hands together.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles to prepare. (Think about pulling your belly button towards your back.)
- Breathe out. Lift your head and shoulders until your shoulder blades are just off the floor.
- Keep your neck straight and your chin up. Avoid tucking your head and neck into your chest.
- Your elbows should remain out to the sides.
- Lower your shoulders down in a controlled manner while keeping your lower legs in position.
- Inhale while moving down.
- Bring your feet off the floor. Make a right angle at your hip and bend your knees so your lower legs are parallel to the floor.
- Do the exercise while balancing on a stability ball.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2016
- Update Date: 08/08/2016