Return to Index
Talking to Your Healthcare Provider About Stomach Cancer
General Tips for Gathering Information
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Healthcare Provider
- Do I have any specific risk factors for stomach cancer?
- How much of a risk of developing stomach cancer do I face?
- Are there any risk factors that I can change?
- What makes you think I might have stomach cancer?
- How can we determine whether or not I have stomach cancer?
- What kind of stomach cancer do I have?
- Could you explain the tests I need?
- How accurate are the test results?
- What kinds of treatments are appropriate for me?
- Will I need more than one type of treatment?
- Will I need to see other doctors?
- How long will my treatments last?
- What are the potential side effects/complications of the treatments?
- What is the chance that the recommended treatments will cure my stomach cancer?
- How will we know whether the treatments have been effective or not?
- What would my options be if the treatment doesn’t work or if the cancer recurs?
- While I’m receiving treatment for stomach cancer, will I be able to participate in my usual activities?
- Can you help me weigh the benefit of the treatments versus the effect they may have on my quality of life?
- What type of follow-up will I need after treatment?
- What kinds of lifestyle changes can I make to help my body be stronger and healthier, so that I can work with the treatments to fight stomach cancer?
- What kinds of lifestyle changes might make me more comfortable while I’m going through treatments?
- Do you have recommendations for any support groups for my family and I as we go through this?
- Is my cancer confined to the stomach, or is it elsewhere in my body as well?
- What kind of prognosis does my kind of stomach cancer have?
- How do my other medical conditions affect my prognosis?
- Once I’ve completed treatments, what will we do to monitor for a return of the cancer?
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Michael Woods, MD, FAAP
- Review Date: 09/2017
- Update Date: 09/01/2017