A summer vacation is a great way to see the country, but it can be hard on your diet. Traveling, dining out and staying in hotels can set back your weight-loss plan if you’re not careful. Luckily, with a little planning, you can have a fun vacation and bring back souvenirs instead of extra pounds. Here are some tips:
- Reserve a hotel room with a kitchen so you can prepare your own healthy meals.
- Start the day with a healthy protein, such as a nonfat smoothie or egg white omelet, to keep you full all morning.
- Pack healthy snacks such as oranges, grapes and nuts for when hunger strikes during the day.
- At lunch, skip the drive-thru and hit a sandwich shop for turkey on whole wheat, fruit and nonfat yogurt.
- In restaurants, have the server wrap half your entrée immediately. This keeps you from overeating – and gives you an extra meal for later.
- At buffets, hit the salad bar first and fill up on delicious fresh vegetables. Remember: macaroni salad doesn’t count as salad.
- Finally, get out and see the sights on foot. Or rent a tandem bike.