March 17-23 is National Poison Prevention Week

A toddler reaches for pills on table

National Poison Prevention Week is March 17-23. It’s important to know how to prevent poisoning and what to do if it is ingested.

First, look at the container so you know what you’ve ingested. Many containers give instructions of what to do after accidental ingestion. If it says to contact Poison Control, do it! Time is a huge factor. It’s important to record a possible ingestion time to help with treatment from Poison Control and/or a medical facility.

“If you’re unsure if there might be exposure, always seek medical attention,” said Chad Garner, Director of Emergency and Trauma Services at Saint Francis Healthcare. “Saint Francis Emergency Department has decreased throughput and length of stay measures to be more available in times of an emergency like possible poisoning.”

Go directly to the closest emergency room and bring the medication and/or empty bottles with you. Know how many pills are supposed to be in the bottle. To prevent poisoning, make sure chemicals and medications are in childproof containers and locked in a cabinet with a key. Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 or visit Poison.org any time you’ve ingested something that is not supposed to be ingested.

Share This Page:
Request a personalized estimate