Losing weight takes discipline, commitment and education. That said, a few shortcuts never hurt. Here are a few secret weapons for winning the weight-loss battle:
- Exercise in bursts. Research suggests doing two 30-minute workouts with a 20-minute break in between burns more calories than a continuous 60-minute session.
- Do whole-body aerobic activities. That means legs, arms and everything in between. For instance studies show that soccer burns more fat and adds more muscle than jogging, and hiking with Nordic poles burns 20% more calories than hiking without them.
- Exercise 40 minutes, lose weight all day. A University of Alabama at Birmingham study found that 40 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise makes the body burn calories at a higher rate for almost a full day afterward
- Dress casual. You’ll tend to walk more than if you wear normal work attire.
- Drink green tea. Studies indicate drinking three cups a day boosts the metabolism.
- Use olive oil. People who have a diet high in monounsaturated fats (found in olive oil) tend to burn more calories than those eating more saturated fats.
- Exercise to music. You’ll tend to work out longer and more consistently.
- Stand or pace when you’re on the phone. You’ll burn 20% more calories than sitting.
- Ladies, get your dairy. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women who consumed 1,000 to 1,400 milligrams of calcium a day burned more fat and calories. That’s three to four servings of dairy a day. If you’re lactose intolerant, consider a supplement or foods such as beans, soy milk and nuts.