Masks Are Required at All Saint Francis Locations
COVID-19 Policies & Information

Treatment for Rashes

Rashes are common and could indicate many different types of issues, including allergic reactions to medications or plants, eczema, extreme heat and viruses. But how do you know when you should seek medical treatment?

Matthew B. Schumer, MD
Matthew B. Schumer, MD

“If you cannot easily identify the cause of the rash – such as poison ivy – you should call your doctor,” says Matthew B. Schumer, MD, family practice physician at Saint Francis Medical Center. “Additionally, any rash that occurs right after you start a new medication, or that is accompanied by fever, needs a doctor’s attention.”

If the rash covers a large part of your body or appears to be growing rapidly, you may need to seek immediate medical attention. “Go straight to the emergency department if your rash is beginning to blister on some parts of your body or if you are feeling faint,” says Schumer.

For more information, call 573-331-3000.

Estimate Your Cost for Services with Our Automated Tool