Cakes, cookies, chips, candy – coworkers love bringing treats to work. Then there are the surprise birthdays and group lunches. All these things can sabotage your diet if you’re not careful. The American Council on Exercise offers these tips for staying on your diet while on the job:
- Create a plan for your meals at work. Decide beforehand what you will be eating, including snacks. If your place of work has a cafeteria, check the menu and be sure to bring a healthy meal for days when they offer an especially tempting entrée.
- Prepare your meal the night before, rather than in the morning when you might decide to skip it.
- Eat breakfast. A nutritious breakfast that includes fruits, veggies, lean protein and whole grains will keep hunger – and temptation – at bay.
- Avoid high-fat, processed foods for lunch. Opt for freshly prepared foods instead.
- If you snack, do so with healthy treats like blueberries. If you can’t resist a special treat or dessert, satisfy your craving with just a small portion.