Saint Francis Foundation and the Saint Francis Medical Center Auxiliary awarded healthcare scholarships to 23 local students on July 31. Each student received $2,000 in scholarships toward a degree in a healthcare-related profession.
The Saint Francis Healthcare Scholarship Program was created in 1980. The program is funded by Saint Francis Foundation and the Saint Francis Auxiliary. Since its inception, the program has provided more than $533,000 in education scholarships to college students in an effort to encourage participation in professional healthcare careers. Scholarship recipients must have completed at least one year in an accredited healthcare program, maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA and complete the application and essay requirements by the scheduled deadline. They must also reside within Saint Francis Medical Center’s service area, as defined in the application.
The 2015 Saint Francis Healthcare Scholarship Program Recipients are:
- Austin Cook, Chaffee, Mo. – Joseph and Harriette Hunter McCrate Scholarship
- Alexis Engelhart, Jackson, Mo. – Lee George and Katherine Jane Cochran Memorial Scholarship
- Emily Greenley, Thebes, Ill. – Saint Francis Foundation Scholarship
- Rachel Hearnes, Charleston, Mo. – Clara D. Newnam Memorial Scholarship
- Megan Hecht, Jackson, Mo. – Lucy Ellen Towse Memorial Scholarship
- Kody Hindman, Cape Girardeau, Mo. – Carrie Suedekum Memorial Scholarship
- Madison Huckstep, Scott City, Mo. – Susan Kluesner-Hinkebein Memorial Scholarship
- Hannah Hunter, Jackson, Mo. – Ken Hayden Memorial Nursing Scholarship
- Amanda Lappe, Oak Ridge, Mo. – Earl Jr. and Lori Wills Memorial Scholarship
- Kristy Lohman, Chester, Ill. – Mamie Hall Memorial Scholarship
- Elizabeth Leimer, Gordonville, Mo. – Bess Estes Healthcare Scholarship
- Sarah McCrate, Jackson, Mo. – Raymond A. and Lillian K. Ritter Scholarship
- Kaitlin McGrath, Cape Girardeau, Mo. – Saint Francis Auxiliary Healthcare Scholarship
- Jordan Myer, Jackson, Mo. – Evalyn and S. David Nunley Scholarship
- Caleb Newcomer, Jackson, Mo. – Huttegger-Scherer Memorial Scholarship
- Taylor Powers, Anna, Ill. – Bernadean Campbell Memorial Scholarship
- Olivia Renner, Jackson, Mo. – Saint Francis Auxiliary Physician Honor Scholarship
- Ethan Seyer, Oak Ridge, Mo. – Mark F. Scully Nursing Scholarship
- Tripti Shakya, Cape Girardeau, Mo. – Christen Joyel Aufdenberg Memorial Scholarship
- Emma Steffens, Jackson, Mo. – Saint Francis Auxiliary 125th Anniversary Scholarship
- Cody Van de Ven, Leopold, Mo. – Raymond A. and Lillian K. Ritter Scholarship
- Emily Welker, Cape Girardeau, Mo. – Sisters of Saint Francis Nursing Scholarship
- Melissa Wyatt, Jackson, Mo. – Edythe M. Davis Scholarship
The members of the 2015 scholarship committee include: B.J. Bowman; Nicole Chance; Thelma Irwin, Cheryl Mothes, Lisa Newcomer and Lori Wills.
For more information about the Saint Francis Healthcare Scholarship Program, call 573-331-5790.