Treating and managing chronic diseases such as heart failure, myocardial infarction and pneumonia does not stop after the patient is discharged from the hospital. Making sure high-risk patients receive proper care after leaving the hospital is the goal of the Continuing Care Clinic at Saint Francis Medical Center.
Around 5.7 million Americans live with congestive heart failure, which occurs when the heart can’t pump enough blood and oxygen to support the body’s organs. Heart failure is a lifelong, chronic condition that can be controlled with early diagnosis, medication, lifestyle changes, medical devices or surgery.
Common symptoms of congestive heart failure include:
- Shortness of breath from walking stairs or simple activities
- Trouble breathing when resting or lying down
- Waking up breathless at night
- Needing more than two pillows to sleep
- Tiring easily
- Swelling of feet, ankles or legs
- Generalized feeling of fatigue
- Coughing that produces pink or blood-tinged sputum
- Dry, hacking cough, especially when lying flat in bed
Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau offers ongoing support for recently discharged patients with chronic diseases. Our continuing care clinic provides the necessary tools to prevent future emergency room visits and hospitalizations through information about nutrition, exercise and medication. In addition, we supplement primary and cardiology care with our transitional and ongoing services.
Saint Francis offers the following support for recently discharged patients:
- Follow-up calls to ensure a smooth transition from hospital to home
- A nurse who is available to answer questions from 8:30 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday.
- If needed, weekly visits at the Continuing Care Clinic.
Congestive heart failure patients may need ongoing evaluation and management of their condition The Heart Failure Program in southeast Missouri offers routine clinical visits to optimize heart failure therapy and closely monitor the patient between other provider visits.
For more information, call the Continuing Care Clinic at 573-331-5787.
Saint Francis Healing Arts Center (Entrance 2)
3250 Gordonville Road
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703