Where is Your Nursing Future?
It is right here — at Saint Francis Healthcare System.
Based in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Saint Francis Healthcare System offers services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to more than 715,000 people in southeast Missouri and in a five-state region through Saint Francis Medical Center and more than 40 Medical Partner locations.
The Catholic-based Healthcare System has evolved in the 21st century from a local community medical center to the regional tertiary healthcare leader. Nestled only 100 miles south of St. Louis, we mix big-city excitement with small-town charm.
Have questions about a healthcare career at Saint Francis? Contact us today.
Graduate Nurse Residency Program
Our graduate nurse residency program is a valuable training tool for recent nursing graduates when they first arrive at the Healthcare System. From classroom and patient care experiential learning side by side with nurse mentors, to using clinical and professional skills serving the community to fulfill Saint Francis’s Mission, the nursing residency program offers an exclusive group of nursing graduates an outstanding jump-start to a nursing career at Saint Francis.
Nursing Student Externship Program
The Externship for Nursing Students program provides a dynamic learning experience. This program allows students to participate in direct patient care with assigned RN mentors. Time will be spent in both Medical/Surgical and Specialty areas of choice. The Externship will be offered to new participants throughout the year. Nursing students, chosen for this program, will have the opportunity to participate in the Externship until graduation from their nursing program. Nurse Externs will also be given the opportunity to train and work as a Patient Care Associate while participating in the program.
- Organizational and classroom orientation to start in May and December
- RN mentored clinical experience
- Participate in direct and indirect patient care
- Spend time in both Medical/Surgical and Specialty areas
- Opportunity to advance nursing skills while working under the direction of experienced nursing professionals
- 12 hours paid clinical experience every two weeks with the opportunity for additional hours during school breaks
- Options to further your training in additional roles throughout the Healthcare System
- Flexible shifts to accommodate any school schedule
- Nursing students who are entering or within their last year of the nursing program
- Meet Saint Francis job-related health requirements
- Satisfactory work record (from within the last year)
- Satisfactory academic record
Applications for the Nursing Student Externship Program are not being accepted at this time. Please check back soon.
Stories from Our Nurses
Nurses come from near and far to practice at Saint Francis Healthcare System for a variety of reasons. See what our Nurses have to say about becoming part of the Saint Francis Family and Cape Girardeau.
Ashley Seabaugh is the director of Learning and Development at Saint Francis Healthcare System. She is a registered nurse with a Bachelor of Science in nursing.
Jennifer Debrock, BSN, RN, started her first nursing job at Saint Francis 13 years ago, but her love for people and their hearts started long before that.
Lindsey Miesner, RN, NNP-BC is a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
At Saint Francis, we are a family – sometimes, in more ways than one. Meet the mother-daughter duo at southeast Missouri’s only Level III Emergency and Trauma Center at Saint Francis Medical Center: Michelle and McKensi Williams.
Staci Baker, RN is a registered nurse in the Cardiovascular Lab.
Whitney Glueck, RN and Jessie Livesay, RN are labor and delivery nurses at Saint Francis.